What have you found to be the most effective treatment for memory issues in ADD?
Several effective naturopathic medicine strategies have emerged for the successful management of memory issues in ADD and ADHD. By combining the foundations of simple lifestyle and dietary modifications with a select list of supplemental strategies, profound benefit to symptoms can often be realized.
Of those that I have found to be most effective and are best supported by research are:
- Bacopa monnieri- Native to India, this herb has been used traditionally in Ayurvedic medicine to enhance memory, learning and concentration and to treat anxiety.
- Eleuthero senticosus (American Gensing) - enhances the neuronal communication related to learning and memory
- Rhodiola rosea - has been proven effective at improving the focus of both adults and children. It works by increasing the sensitivity in the neurological and nervous system that produce serotonin and dopamine, which are both essential for effective ADD and ADHD symptom control.
- Glycyrrhiza glabra – Well known for its ability to improve learning and memory, licorice’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties are thought to contribute favorably to the memory enhancement effect.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) - thiamin deficiency produces oxidative stress in neurons and has been associated with short-term memory loss, and memory difficulty.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) - Vitamin B5 is necessary for the metabolism of choline in order to make the acetylcholine neurotransmitter. Acetylcholine contributes to neural plasticity which improves memory and learning capacity.
- Vitamin B6 - is involved in the regulation of mental function and mood,
- L-carnitine - is often used as a brain booster, due to its ability to increase alertness and mitochondrial capacity while providing support for the neurons.
- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine – the more bioavailable form of tyrosine, has been shown to support cognitive enhancement (especially during acute stressors like cold), reducing stress and increasing working memory and wellbeing
Klaire Labs makes a great combination product that includes many of these.
This question was answered by Leah Linder, ND.