UCSD integrative initiative expands to new health centers
August 31, 2017
by John Weeks, Publisher/Editor of The Integrator Blog News and ReportsThe recent media release from the University of California-San Diego (UCSD) is a welcome one for close watchers of integrative initiatives in academic medicine. Rather than a story of a closure of an integrative center, the title portrays a healthy proliferation. The promotional piece for an August 19, 2017 celebratory kick-off read “UC San Diego Launches New Centers for Integrative Health.”The move follows “exponential growth” at the UCSD Center for Integrative Medicine, according to the center’s research director Gordon Saxe, MD, PhD. Established in 2010, the clinical initiative presently treats some 10,000 patients each year. And a major research endowment has been received.The new UCSD Centers for Integrative Health is an umbrella with five separate and linked entities that are each presently active in various organizational forms at UCSD:
- The Center for Integrative Nutrition, led by Saxe and Lauray MacElhern, MBA, will house all nutrition-related integrative programs, cooking classes and clinical services.
- The Center for Integrative Medicine, directed by Rusty Kallenberg, MD, offers integrative clinical services at multiple UC San Diego Health clinical sites.
- The Center for Mindfulness, led by Stephen Hickman, PsyD, offers a range of mindfulness-based programs for both UC San Diego Health patients and the public, and include training to teach mindfulness programs. Hickman’s Center was among the first university-based centers in the world solely devoted to studying and teaching mindfulness.
- The Center for Integrative Research was presented at the kick off by Saxe and Paul Mills, PhD, a leader in biofield research and a frequent research collaborator with author Deepak Chopra, MD. The endeavor has benefitted by a multi-million endowment from Richard Krupp, now deceased, that is expected to be officially announced in early 2018. The research is expected to focus on integrative health, public health and practice-based research efforts based at UCSD.
- The Center for Integrative Education is led by Ellen Beck, MD who WebMD named a “Health Hero” in 2011. The center encompasses programs for students, health professionals, and the public.