Ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) updates and resources for integrative healthcare professionals
Latest news updates and statistics
The latest news updates from Integrative Practitioner include:
- First human trial of COVID-19 trial shows promising results. Click here for more information.
- Altered sense of taste in half COVID-19 cases, study finds. Click here for more information.
- Preliminary results from remdesivir for COVID-19 clinical trial published. Click here for more information.
- No evidence of benefit for anti-malarials in COVID-19 patients, study says. Click here for more information.
- Pandemic will likely cause long-term health problems, impact vulnerable populations. Click here for more information.
- Study reports the first known case of subacute thyroiditis after COVID-19 infection. Click here for more information.
The total number confirmed cases as press time, according to the John’s Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center, is 5,722,859 with the largest number of cases coming from the following countries:
- 1,700,350 cases in the U.S.
- 411,821 cases in Brazil
- 379,051 cases in Russia
- 268,620 cases in United Kingdom
- 236,259 cases in Spain
- 231,139 cases in Italy
- 183,038 cases in France
- 181,918 cases in Germany
- 159,797 cases in Turkey
- 159,138 cases in India
- 143,849 cases in Iran
- 135,905 cases in Peru
There are currently 102,241 deaths linked to COVID-19 in the U.S. and 490,256 have recovered. Click here for the latest statistics provided by Johns Hopkins University.
The pharmaceutical giant Pfizer has begun testing a new coronavirus vaccine in the United States. The initial trial will involve 360 volunteers, and the first subjects have already received injections. The vaccine was developed in a partnership with the German biotech company BioNTech. In addition to the U.S. trials, there will be roughly 200 patients enrolled in trials in Germany.
There are currently nearly 50 additional vaccine programs underway worldwide, according to the Milken Institute based in Santa Monica, California. Other promising vaccine trials include:
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals (INO)
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)
Additionally, there are 75 treatment trials underway worldwide. Click here for more information on the latest clinical trial progress.