National Cancer Institute-SIO partnership promotes integrative oncology globally
December 12, 2017
by John Weeks, Publisher/Editor of The Integrator Blog News and ReportsEditor’s note: This analysis article is not edited and the authors are solely responsible for the content. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Integrative Practitioner.A partnership between the Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO) and the National Cancer Institute has led to the publication of a recent 16-paper, open access volume. The special issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute Monographs, entitled Advancing the Global Impact of Integrative Oncology, broadly promotes the integrative model as the optimal standard of treatment.FON Therapeutics’ integrative oncology consultant Glenn Sabin, a former SIO board member as well as a cancer survivor, provides background on the SIO in an excellent overview of the SIO-NCI collaboration here. The Monograph highlights include, for instance:
- “A Comprehensive Definition for Integrative Oncology” available here.
- “Integrating Traditional and Allopathic Medicine: An Opportunity to Improve Global Health in Cancer” available here.
- “Growth of Integrative Medicine at Leading Cancer Centers Between 2009 and 2016: A Systematic Analysis of NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center Websites” available here.
- “Comprehensive Lifestyle Change: Harnessing Synergy to Improve Cancer Outcomes” available here.
- “Including the Patient Voice in Patient-Centered Outcomes Research in Integrative Oncology” available here.
- “Distress Management Through Mind-Body Therapies in Oncology” available here.
- “The Role of Physical Activity in Oncology Care” available here.
- “State of the Science: Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine Therapeutics Research—NCI Strategic Workshop Highlights of Discussion Report” available here.