Open letters to Trump from IMCJ's integrative/functional medicine group
March 9, 2017
The February 2017 issue of the peer-reviewed Integrative Medicine: A Clinicians’ Journal (IMCJ) is devoted to a special cause: educating U.S. President Donald Trump to the potential value of integrative and functional medicine models in reforming the country's medical industry. The introductory “Open Letter” is from IMCJ editor-in-chief, Joe Pizzorno, ND. It is followed by a set of missives from functional medicine leader Jeffrey Bland, PhD, integrative cardiologist Mimi Guarneri, MD, and integrative health organizer and philanthropic investor Ruth Westreich. IMCJ publisher, Innovision Communications, has made all papers openly available to the public.Pizzorno, pictured, opened a theme that others take up related to the determinants of health. His lead-in concludes with a strong free-market pitch. “Government, at all levels, has supported competition-preventing regulations and crony capitalism,” he wrote.Pizzorno provides a five-point plan presented here in full:
- A broader definition of "public health" that includes such critical concepts as helping and supporting farmers to grow foods with higher nutrient density and working with industry to decrease the presence of disease-inducing metal and chemical toxins in the air, water, food, packaging materials, health and beauty aids, home and yard chemicals, etc.
- Primary care that addresses the true causes of disease rather than simply short-term relief of symptoms.
- Personalized health promotion rather than generic care for disease.
- A reimbursement and regulatory system that prioritizes health promotion and disease prevention rather than expensive drugs and procedures.
- Creation of a presidential commission—composed of change agents rather than vested interests—to provide the U.S. Congress with guidance for creation of a real healthcare.
- Pizzorno: How to Cure the Sick Health Care System: An Open Letter to President Trump from Leaders in Functional/Integrative/Natural Health and Medicine
- Bland: Creating Health in America, One Person at a Time: A Message for Incoming President Trump
- Guarneri: Health as an Economic Strategy
- Pizzorno/Stephenson: Health Care System and Addressing the Determinants of Health
- Westreich: Personal Responsibility and Consumer Engagement