The Role of the Gut Microbiome in Autoimmune Disease

May 2, 2019

Autoimmunity_whitepaper_ad.jpg.medium.800x800.jpegAn autoimmune disease is best described as a condition, in which the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy cells in the body. Autoimmune disease can affect any part of the body, triggering inflammation, which can lead to redness, heat, pain, and swelling.

The incidence rates of autoimmune disease are increasing worldwide by 4 to 7% every year, with the greatest increases in celiac disease, type 1 diabetes, and myasthenia gravis - a rapid fatigue of the muscles. And according to The National Institutes of Health (NIH), up to 23.5 million Americans currently suffer from one or more autoimmune disease!

Though there is no singular cause of autoimmune disease, there have been multiple variables linked to the onset of this condition, including genetics and environmental triggers. Studies have shown that genetic predisposition accounts for roughly 30% of all autoimmune diseases, but the remaining 70% are the result of environmental factors, like toxic chemi- cals, diet, infections, and gut dysbiosis. This means that early detection of predictive biomarkers can be used to identify, slow down, and even reverse autoimmune disease.

Thank you for downloading!

Download Now