June 2012 John Weeks Integrator Round-up on Integrative Clinics
Briefly noted developments in health system integrative medicine programs
The following is a sampling of developments in various integrative clinics, mainly in health systems, over the past month.
- The Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center of the University of Miami Hospitals and Clinics is boasting its integrative programs led by University of Arizona Fellow Ashwin Mehta MD, MPH.
- Stephen Schimpff, MD, former CEO of the University of Maryland Center offers a 4-part reflection on integrative medicine.
- The Fountain Centre, an integrative services unit associated with Guildford, England’s St. Luke’s cancer center, welcomed actor Hayley Mills as a marketing agent and supporter.
- The Petaluma Health Center promoted its integrative offerings “that includes acupuncture, drug counseling and therapy, alongside traditional medical and dental services.”
- A fundraiser called Appetite for Life benefited the Middlesex, Connecticut Center for Survivorship and Integrative Medicine.
- The Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre, led by Dugald Seely, ND, was the subject of a favorable feature, “An Oasis of Healing,” in the Ottawa Citizen. The model is based on British Columbia’s InspireHealth.
- The for-profit UCR Health Centers, with two clinics in the Chandler, Arizona area, advertised its integrated services in a June 1, 2012 release its integrated services: “Urgent Care Clinic Announces New Improved Chandler Facility, Integrated Model is America’s Healthcare Future.”
- The Well Integrative Medicine program, an integrative wellness model, was recognized as a “Social Venture Accelerator” by Propeller: A Force for Social Innovation.
- The comprehensive pain strategy of Beverly Hospital at Danvers, MA sent this release on their program.
- Integrative medicine gets as brief mention in this piece on a $50-million expansion of Florida’s Jupiter medical Center.
- The music therapy program at Northern Westchester Hospital was awarded a Planetree Award.
- A column on integrative medicine insurance coverage in Hawai’i by Ira Zunin, MD, MBA, MPH is here.
- The CAM Masters program at Georgetown caught a notice via the University of Buffalo’s PreHealth Advisor.
- The role of UCSF’s Shelley Adler, PhD in the International Congress for Educators in Complementary and Integrative Medicine is featured here.
- Aurora Healthcare is featuring a June evening discussion on integrative oncology.
- Michigan’s Oaklawn Hospital is finding some controversy in opening its Holistic Center.
- Virginia’s Riverside Medical Group has a note sharing why its integrative care services are offered for free, which is connected to a pitch to support them with donations.
- The University of Wiusconsin is planning a $25 million replacement facility to house the Wingra Family Medical Clinic, integrative medicine physicians.
The UCLA student paper features a story on UCLA pre-medical students shadowing acupuncturists at Emperor’s College for an internship.